3. Click on the Spin button.
The house edge is 2-15%, depending on the returns available from the software developer. It is difficult to quantify the exact odds of each slots game, as there are so many factors that involved, such as number of paylines, number of reels, and special bonuses.
What we do know is that the odds for winning on each spin remains the same for a given game, because the system is controlled by a random number generator. This means that, contrary to the popular myth, a machine does not run hot or cold depending on how much or little it has already paid out.
Winning a jackpot offsets the standard odds of a slot machine and changes people’s lives forever. One example is of a lucky South African player who in 2012 won an incredible R1.1 million spinning the reels on a slots favourite, The Incredible Hulk Slot.
Slots game tactics
While online slots is the easiest game to understand and only requires a button click, you can still attempt to increase the payout:
- The less complex the game is, the better the chances. The extravagant slot games with fancy features have a tendency to not pay as good as the basic styled games. However, there is no doubt that the basic ones are not as fun.
- Slots give you twice as much comp points than any other casino game. After accumulating enough points, you can exchange them for real money.
- If you are playing and it just doesn’t seem to be paying out, move on to a different slot machine, the chances are against you. When a machine has built up a losing pattern, proceed onward to another one.
Different types of slot games
There are many themes and variations that you can choose from, including:
Three reel slots – These are most similar to the original one-armed bandits or online fruit machine. They have only 3 reels, generally only a single payline, and sometimes a wild symbol which means they may not have the same huge payouts as the more complex machines, but the payouts are more often, creating a lower volatility . One such example is the always entertaining slot game, Tres Amigos.
Five reel slots – These slots machines have 5 reels and are also based on the classic one-armed bandits.
Video slots – This newer type of slots machine is almost like a video game, as there are enhanced graphics, interactive bonus rounds and special effects. These games usually have 5 reels and multiple paylines. You get other variations such as multi-spin versions and because of all of the different features, these games may not always pay out as often as the more simple versions but when they do, the payouts are much higher – to get an idea of what we’re talking about you can check out one such game, Gladiator Slots or read more in our Video Slots page.
Progressive slots – Slots games that have a progressive jackpot, which is a huge growing jackpot network pool. A percentage of each player’s bet from all over the world is added to the jackpot pool. A certain combination of symbols will win you the jackpot. Find out more about progressive slots here and by taking a look at one of the progressive slot machines Beach life.
5 Important slot tips
- The trick to making a game work best for you is to figure out how to maximize your bankroll. The longer your money lasts, the more you can win, so a solid bankroll management strategy is essential. Smart use of bonuses will make your money last.
- Try to bet max as much as you can because this will give you access to the biggest payouts, top jackpots and will unlock all special features. The Rand and cents machines are best for betting max, because it won’t break the bank if you do this.
- Always check out the paytable, so that you can learn about the payouts and special features of the game. Generally the simpler the machine, the greater the odds of winning, even though it may not be as much fun. Also, the higher-denomination machines tend to have better odds.
- Even better than this is to play your chosen game in practice mode first. With a no download slot machine you can enjoy free play slots. You’ll get to spin the reels first without committing any ZAR. When you feel confident with the free slots game, you can switch to real money mode.
- Best of all is a free spins bonus offer. Casinos can give new players free spins as a no deposit welcome bonus. Free spins are often also included as a special promotion to reward existing players, or to incentivise players to try out a new slots game. Read more about free spins bonuses in this article.
Bottom Line on Slots
Slots are the biggest draw cards at both online and land-based casinos. There are so many incredible versions and themes to choose from, and playing the slots will guarantee you lots of fun and rewards.
Take the slots for a spin in free slots practice mode first, and then play the reels for real money to reap the rewards. Follow the tips discussed to put yourself on a winning streak and then visit the slots arenas of our recommended online casinos, where you’ll find the biggest selection of world-class games.